82140 Posts in 6125 Topics- by 1988 Members - Latest Member: JanPL

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Developer Update: February Update 2015  (Read 9318 times)
aRny
Project Manager
Development Team

Post Quality +93/-8

Respect: +220

« on: February 04, 2015, 12:36:40 pm »
+2

presents you...

Hey everyone,

Firstly, thanks for reading and showing us your continued patience and engagement over the last months and years. We are driven by the community and your feedback and participation means a lot to us.

We would like to give a very small development update to show what progress has been made over the last weeks, and what we are currently working on.

Overview
We are plugging hard away at a variety of code tasks, concentrating on the pure game "playability". We are looking at this as a MVP (minimal viable product), with our focus to release early and frequently - this in layman teams means, a closed beta (internally called "DEMO"). Our goal (can't be guaranteed) is to have this done by June/July.

Focus
To ensure we do not get distracted, we have pretty much stopped all other areas of development since July 2014 (level design, art asset creation, weapon/character animation etc..), to prevent additional bugs or issues arising and taking our valuable time away from the core issues.

What does this mean?
For you fans, this means there will not be any shiny media releases with some kick-ass weapons on display. It will also mean, it is difficult to show progress, as a lot of the development being worked on is code based - and not always pure features that we can show off. The majority of what we are working on are critical and game breaking bugs and those minor issues that, despite not game breaking, ruin the user experience of the game and prevent us from releasing the game in its current state.

Development Progress over the last weeks:
+ Due to a flaw in our old buymeu system, TOP-Proto has been working many hours over the last 2 weeks to re-write it. The armour states were not setup to really handle bought, selling, buying, damaged states - this caused an array of issues in the code, when it came to purchasing new armour and re-selling it directly and repairing damaged armour
+ In addition, whilst working on this re-write we found a few undiscovered issues, of incorrectly calculated ammo purchases (player being deducted wrong amounts)
+ Most importantly, we found a big security flaw in the code that would allow a player to sell weapons in a certain way and not need to pay for their weapons - and thus able to go into negative cash amounts
+ We have introduced more failsafe server checks, to validate purchasing to prevent this from happening
+ Rogue fixed up the last critical issues in our "escape objective". The problem was, that escaped players inventory were not being stored/remembered when they re-spawned the following round. The system was re-written to store the pawn (player) and keep the inventory stored in a PRI like way. Whilst doing this, it unraveled an array of other issues, like double round re-sets, overlapping of dead/escaped icons in the scoreboard, players not being hidden when in the escape zone etc.. But this has all been fixed and fully committed!
+ Fixed issue of round not ending correctly in certain states, when playing with BOTS (AI)
+ Spectators now see the "expanding" hit cursor effects, which is displayed when a player hits another enemy (feedback notification of a successful shot)

Next on our list...

- try to find an engine work around solution to the problem that causes player dynamic shadows to show through certain walls, (means you can see the player through a wall...yes, like a wall hack!). !!This is a UDK engine limitation!! Otherwise we may need to revert back to blob shadows...
- finish up the Grenade throws not being properly replicated to spectators
- finish up the spectator view, where the players hands you are watching (in-eyes) hands flicker
- fix the weapon effects not spawned (shown) correctly out of the gun for Spectator View (wrongly aligned)
- fix the keybinding menu being 1 row off on sections using a scroll bar. Means you can not alter the function!
- fix the scroll bar in the settings/game option not moving correctly
- fix issue of players feet going through the floor when at the bottom of a ladder
- fix issue of the flashbang effect not being replicated to spectators/dead players viewing the player (in-eyes)
- plug in score row gradients correctly for dead players (easily see difference between dead and alive players)
- adjust how weapon fires when holding fire during a reload sequence (and when switching weapon). IT should fire immediately after the action
- remember a servers game password in the players INI, so they do not need to re-enter it always.
- implement basic game "end of round" statistics

So that is our exhaustive list and gives you an in-sight of where we are at, and what is left to do!
We will try to update you on the progress of this list as we work towards our "DEMO"!

&

Stay tuned for more!

All the best
Your Critical Point Team
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 02:18:05 pm by aRny » Logged

"Mjl86": damn i went to bed 8 hours ago and i get up and proto's still here!!
StuD
Co-Founder of Tactical Assault (long time retired)

Post Quality +3/-2

Respect: +4

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 05:46:31 am »

Good luck. Any reason you cannot publish the feature set targeted for the MVP?
aRny
Project Manager
Development Team

Post Quality +93/-8

Respect: +220

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 08:26:53 am »

We are on feature lock now except the basic game statistics to be included and the remember server password.

A comprehensive list of features was already published, but is hidden away a little right now. We will be updating it and making it visible soon.
For now check out this list for an idea, but as I said it does need further updating:

https://www.steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92955708

"Mjl86": damn i went to bed 8 hours ago and i get up and proto's still here!!
SF

Post Quality +0/-0

Respect: -2

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 05:15:19 pm »

Do you want an additional beta tester?
Remus.gL

Post Quality +0/-0

Respect: +2

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 07:24:30 pm »

Thanks for the good news!

Do you want an additional beta tester?
The question is, do you already informed the people who applied for beta testing about being in team or are you going to do this when tests begin?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 07:26:01 pm by Remus.gL » Logged
TOP-Proto
Project Leader and Lead Programmer
Development Team

Post Quality +109/-2

Respect: +104

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 02:14:19 am »

we have our beta testers in a safe place Smiley we are doing alpha testing currently Smiley
avaritia

Post Quality +0/-0

Respect: 0

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 09:48:15 am »

Kinda forgot this forum but really glad its still in development. Never could be bothered by any other shooting game where if you shoot 1 time or walk 1 step your scope gets bigger then Nicki Manaj's ass.

Looking forward for this game Smiley!

SF

Post Quality +0/-0

Respect: -2

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 10:42:43 am »

we have our beta testers in a safe place Smiley we are doing alpha testing currently Smiley

TOP-Proto, are you the guy that made TOProtect? Because I heard that guy was shipped to the war by his country and wasn't heard from for years, and likely died.
TOP-Proto
Development Team

Post Quality +109/-2

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 12:39:44 pm »

no that's not me.

Not a nice story tho.
Malacia

Post Quality +0/-0

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 10:59:22 pm »

time to call it a day lads
TOP-Proto
Development Team

Post Quality +109/-2

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 06:06:06 pm »

never!.

CPI will release Smiley
Malacia

Post Quality +0/-0

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 06:23:01 pm »

never!.

CPI will release Smiley

4 months for a reply? No news on the website since February, the community is nonexistent, there is no interest in the game from anywhere and no signs of this ever looking like a polished game ready to carry on from TO. Every gameplay screenshot or video released so far looks hardly any better than TO:C.

The project was announced when the UT3 engine was released and greenlit nearly 2 years ago and we still don't even have an alpha to play.

How long did TO:Crossfire take to release? It was an average game but had some strong community interest because it was announced at a good time, kept everyone informed and made quick progress by a strong dev team. Even that had a pretty low player base which dwindled relatively quickly, that was a free mod for a popular game as well. Aren't you expecting people to pay for CPI?

Why continue investing time into a game that would have looked out of place even if it was released 5 years ago? Cashing in on the popularity of TO has already been shown not to work, why would this be any different given everyone it's aimed at has now long since moved on?

Move on for your own sake.
TOP-Proto
Development Team

Post Quality +109/-2

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 06:28:22 pm »

Thanks for your opinion, yes we have been quiet with news updates etc, and I deserve a dressing down for how its been the past months.

We are not trying to cash in on any other games popularity though.

Unfortunately the word QUIT isn't something that I will do ever. CPI will get released if its the last thing I do.
Malacia

Post Quality +0/-0

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 06:43:47 pm »

You don't deserve a dressing down, I just don't understand why you would continue to invest what I'd imagine would be a significant amount of your free time into a project that has been stagnating for years. Why not at least release something as early access to at least test how much interest there will be?

I personally do not see how the game will ever attract enough players to be worth the invested time at this point but I'd love to be proved wrong.
TOP-Proto
Development Team

Post Quality +109/-2

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2015, 06:56:05 pm »
+2

Its something I do out of passion not for financial reward. In fact the only incentive for financial reward in this project is to improve CPI further.

We are working on early access at the moment, but we will not release until we are happy with where things are and at the moment theres a few things left to sort out.

Regardless of how much time I have invested into this, there isn't a point I will think "ok that's enough time" its hard to describe but I'm really passionate about CPI, my vision for it and I am too stubborn to quit.

I don't want to throw excuses out here as everyone has a hard time in life but I had to re-prioritise and unfortunately CPI has suffered tremendously because of that.
Things that have gotten in the way include my own health (including heart surgery) and mostly health related issues that must take priority over CPI.

That's not the same as not wanting to finish CPI, or me falling out of love with CPI, its about getting the right priorities in order.

I also hope CPI can bring back the players it peeked interest in. Its still my strong belief that other games, newer games are missing out on what we will be providing and hope that newer gamers "get it".

Things are looking on the up though, although its extremely painful times for me with respects of CPI, how I feel about how the community feels, how the team feels etc, its taken its toll mentally on me too. At one point I just couldn't even program, I had a weird physical inability to program, kind of like writers block, but for months. This was caused by lack of resource to help me.

If theres a code problem for example I cant go and ask someone, like my boss, because its me. So I have to figure it out. I can post in forums or ask people on my contacts list and if they know they might help me out but its very tough going Smiley.

CPI is like a roller-coaster ride. the good times are really good but the bad times are really bad. A lot of people disembark the project when the going gets tough too Smiley.

I appreciate the brutal honesty though and I hope you appreciate my point of view.

quite simply

I will never quit this project until its released or I'm forced to.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 07:02:27 pm by TOP-Proto » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: