81587 Posts in 6055 Topics- by 1951 Members - Latest Member: RonnyHolim

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer Update 2012 - Boom, Headshot!  (Read 8745 times)
aRny
Project Manager
Development Team

Post Quality +93/-8

Respect: +209

« on: August 20, 2012, 06:33:17 pm »
+1

presents you...

Dear Community,

We are excited to show you our weapon progress and improvements since the last time we dropped by! We have made a lot of improvements thanks to your feedback. We do our best to keep the standards as high as possible, but ultimately, you, our loyal fans, are the final point of inspection!

Looking back
After the transition from the Unreal Tournament 3 engine to the new Unreal Development Kit (UDK) back in 2009, we noticed that many weapons and assets were not up to our standards. It takes a lot of soul-searching and persistence to turn around to your team (and your fans) to tell them, "We are doing it all over from the start!"

However, there is always a silver lining, and we have pushed the quality barrier to a new high in all areas, above and beyond many indie games, which will ultimately help assist in the game's future success.

Last period
We received a lot of comments from the big changes new outlook media release across the forums, facebook, twitter and indieDB. We are hugely thankful and appreciative of that!

The team has worked tremendously hard since the rebrand in March 2012, in particular Alexey "3dzipp0" Medyanik, whom has stepped up the pace, moving into the role of Environment Artist & Lead Weapon Artist, coordinating and ensuring we meet our high standards and our milestone plans.

Anyhow, jumping to the point, here are some of the latest UDK rendered weapons he has provided, often making many changes to the materials, textures and models to ensure those standards were kept:

Glock 18c
Modelled by Guy Beeson
Textured by Chris Rose
http://criticalpointgame.com/assets/images/misc/Glock18c_mediamat_720.jpg
Summer Update 2012 - Boom, Headshot!

Springfield XD45
Modelled & textured by Jason “midwinterdreams” Mathews
http://criticalpointgame.com/assets/images/misc/SpringfieldXD45_mediamat_720.jpg

Mossberg 590
Modelled & textured by Christopher "cdrose" Rose
http://criticalpointgame.com/assets/images/misc/Mossberg590_mediamat_720.jpg

UMP 45
Modelled & textured by Stefan “rockstar6” Groenewoud
http://criticalpointgame.com/assets/images/misc/UMP_45_mediamat_720.jpg

Flash, L2 A2 & Smoke Nade
All modelled & textured by Jan "ElShotte" Krojcer
http://criticalpointgame.com/assets/images/misc/Flashbang_mediamat_720.jpg

http://criticalpointgame.com/assets/images/misc/High_Explosive_Grenade_%28L2A2%29_mediamat_720.jpg

http://criticalpointgame.com/assets/images/misc/Smoke_Grenade_mediamat_720.jpg

KAR SR25
Modelled & textured by Blake "Kaze369" Mitchell
http://criticalpointgame.com/assets/images/misc/KAR_SR25_sniper_mediamat_720.jpg

Oh, and since aRny promised the Facebook fans screenshots of the KAR SR-25 in-game, with and without scope, let’s talk no further!

http://criticalpointgame.com/assets/images/misc/KAR_ingame004.jpg

http://criticalpointgame.com/assets/images/misc/KAR_ingame002scoped.jpg

The scope effect was done by 3dZipp0 himself, its basically the post process chain with alpha-masked material. There are 3 main parts - firstly a cromatic aberration effect by scaling R and B components of a screen buffer, then he done the distortion with a normal map and lastly masking the result with the alpha of the scope.

Looking forward to tinging headshots with this beast?
We definately are!

Enjoy the current heatwave and click like on our facebook page if you want more like this!

&

All the best
Your Critical Point Team
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 07:42:30 am by aRny » Logged

"Mjl86": damn i went to bed 8 hours ago and i get up and proto's still here!!
ramonster

Post Quality +4/-0

Respect: +6

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 06:39:20 pm »
+1

those weapons look soo nice Cheesy

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n578/ramonster111/groenclan.jpg

aRny
Project Manager
Development Team

Post Quality +93/-8

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 06:40:09 pm »

And for those that may have missed this, we had already done a huge amout of improvements on Seclusion during the production of the last video as shown here and we wanted to show you an updated "unofficial" version as seen here UDK Flythrough - Seclusion by Matt Lefevere (Germany version)

Hope you enjoy the new lighting and change in atmosphere!

w1ng4h

Post Quality +1/-0

Respect: +3

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 07:22:03 pm »
+1

TY for working on this game.
it looks very nice
modelling levels/maps,weapons,skins till now are very nice, GJ Team CP:I, GL in the future

P.S. first post  + <3 the oldschool aRny ^^
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 07:47:40 pm by w1ng4h » Logged
Ssswing`
Level Designer
Development Team

Post Quality +50/-2

Respect: +82

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 08:17:21 pm »

tsk; when that sniper zooms it shows a whole different map! H4x!

...meh
w1ng4h

Post Quality +1/-0

Respect: +3

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 12:48:19 am »

ssswwwiingg go and work harder Wink
i wanna r0x0rj00b0x0r in a normal game WinkCheesyTongue

sorry for my "offtopic" Wink
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 01:49:59 am by w1ng4h » Logged
toowned

Post Quality +2/-5

Respect: -19

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 08:57:38 am »

@ aRny: Done  Wink

I have to give you that the game looks ------- s t u n n i n g ------- I'm realy amased!

I will have to get used to the scale of the weapon. I never realy played the new FPS games, just old MoH and there the weapons did not take so much place on the screen. So I'm finding it kind of big.. Also in MoH there was an option to remove the weapon model and hand holding it so that it was just the cross in the middle to aim, but I always played with the weapon model though and I see a difference in scale.. I watched a cod4 sreenshot and there the scale of the weapon is smaller aswell?

I'm not sure if that is just me? I reckon 25% of the screen is weapon model if you use a MG/SMG? Is that normal?

Also you said there would be no aiming down the sight.. and this weapon looks like an automatic weapon? and there is no cross or dot in the middle of the screen to aim? How can that be?

Bullitproof

Post Quality +3/-0

Respect: +5

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 12:56:58 pm »

This is really great i can smell the release Smiley

A few comments from me.
I dont see the sense of the extra magazine sticked with white ducktape by the side.
This makes the gun bigger then it is and got seen quicklier.

The lense of the sniper is a bit poor. I would like to see the reflexion whats behind the player.
When your moving the reflexion will change with you.

Is it possible to see all the stuff and weapons ur teammate or enemie buyed to see it him wearing it.
So if you asking for a sniper they cant lie about it and use it themselves(A).
Its also a tactical element to see someone carrying the bom when ure zoomed in or what ever.

I forgot one more thing. What about changing the arms of each character.
An arm with scars, mud, watch, darker, bracelets and tattoos. You can think about a lot of things witch are fitting with the character depening on whats he wearing.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 01:05:42 pm by Bullitproof » Logged
Vozzie

Post Quality +0/-0

Respect: +2

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 01:28:21 pm »
+1

I can't wait till this game will be released... I was a hardcore Tactical Ops player and since then no game could reach their level. But seems like Critical Point will be the one succeeding! Keep up the good work!
Bullitproof

Post Quality +3/-0

Respect: +5

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 02:21:57 pm »

The sniper looks really great hope i will shoot a lot of Heady's with it.

The muzzle is a bit to short when it will be a larger it will look more like a sniper.
Its also to thick for a sniper rifle.
A long and thin muzzle will fit perfect for this weapon.
toowned

Post Quality +2/-5

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 03:02:14 pm »

This is really great i can smell the release Smiley

A few comments from me.
I dont see the sense of the extra magazine sticked with white ducktape by the side.
This makes the gun bigger then it is and got seen quicklier.

The lense of the sniper is a bit poor. I would like to see the reflexion whats behind the player.

Is it possible to see all the stuff and weapons ur teammate or enemie buyed to see it him wearing it.
Its also a tactical element to see someone carrying the bom when ure zoomed in or what ever.

An arm with scars, mud, watch, darker, bracelets and tattoos. You can think about a lot of things witch are fitting with the character depening on whats he wearing.

Huh You have realy bad ideas.. This game is about pure gameplay.. Noone wants to see weapons hanging on the player models.. just the player model clean and sleek with the weapon holding in his hands.. that is the way it should be and probably will be. And tatoos and stuff comon... that is just noob.. btw it should be all modelled that takes time and is just useless.. so waste of time and it sucks above all..

sorry for the rage  Grin
aRny
Project Manager
Development Team

Post Quality +93/-8

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 03:29:08 pm »

You dont see a reflection of the player, of course not.. its not a mirror, its glass.
The lense does infact change when you move (which you cant see in a picture) showing a bit of the background. But its so low detail (as it would be in real life looking at a lense from distance) that its more of a blur.

I someone does buy a rifle, or SMG you can see this physically on the player model, it is attached to their back, so it doesnt affect the character at all. We have pistol holders on the character where the pistols are held, same for melees and grenades.

For the Bomb, no. This remains "Secrete" between the mercs only.

I guess you have no idea how long this would take, months and months.
We already have 2 sets of arms, 1. for female swat and 2. for male swat.

We currently have arms in production for the mercs, but right now both teams are using the same arms.. which tbh, no one really can tell the difference of OR CARES about.

toowned

Post Quality +2/-5

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 03:55:20 pm »

I someone does buy a rifle, or SMG you can see this physically on the player model, it is attached to their back, so it doesnt affect the character at all. We have pistol holders on the character where the pistols are held, same for melees and grenades.

wont that look realy busy? And why bother coding?

not a fan about that.. glad its just a useless detail  Cheesy
TOP-Proto
Project Leader and Lead Programmer
Development Team

Post Quality +109/-2

Respect: +102

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 06:01:00 pm »
+1

wont that look realy busy? And why bother coding?

not a fan about that.. glad its just a useless detail  Cheesy

currently we have nothing like that ingame. you see the weapon you are holding, you see the put away animation and then the weapon in the hand flips to the new weapon and a bring up animation. adding weapons onto the body (showing and hiding weapons essentially) may be something we can do but its not a gameplay enhancing feature, more an aesthetic feature.

We are trying to please gamers in the gameplay arena mostly, but we agree internally that we do need to ensure we are aesthetically pleasing where possible providing it does not impact on gameplay.

A busy player model showing what theyre holding would affect gameplay in my opinion. If you saw someone with a pistol and a grenade on their belt, and someone else with a full loadout, you would tactically go for the player with more weapons - as theyre more deadly.

The real question in a case like this then becomes, does this enhance or detract from the gameplay???

I could see it working as an enhancement for tactical gameplay, but also it punishes the guy doing well - you might as well stick a flag on him. So anything and everything we do has to have alot of thought around it. small changes could have huge impacts on gameplay.

however that being said, players generally start with a pistol and melee weapon, so the pistol holster and melee holder would be fine to have those weapons in place.
StealthyXIIGer
Alpha Tester

Post Quality +13/-0

Respect: +38

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 11:03:42 pm »

awesome. keep it going guys!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: